Tuesday 11 May 2010

Free snacks in the hedgerows

So much free food there if you look!  Yes food actually grows by itself and we can pick it!  Wild edible greens around in abundance right now near where I live in Devon include wild garlic leaves and flowers, violet flowers, pennywort, yellow archangel, cleavers, hawthorn leaves, bramble buds, gorse flowers, borage, dandelion leaves and flowers, garlic mustard and crow garlic.  We make our salads with them -  I usually high speed blend a mixture of a huge pile of leaves, tomato, carrot, avocado and cucumber for a fast meal.  We've discovered that if you dehydrate them for a few hours and sprinkle on Himalayan salt and cold pressed olive oil they taste like crisps...a very moreish and mineral rich snack.

The bramble buds are the inner bit where the new shoots are forming - if you pick them the bramble will grow more shoots so it helps the plant too.

In days gone by hawthorn leaves were known as 'poor man's bread and cheese' - and dehydrated they taste a bit like cheese and onion crisps.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly,
    A friend recently gifted me your dvd Raw Generation and I love it! I love your gentle joyful family life and it has reminded me how important it it to me to move my family towards a high raw diet, thank you for making such a beautiful film :)

    Foraging for greens is wonderful isn't it! We picked a huge tub of nettles, dandelion leaves and wild garlic yesterday :)
    Blessings
    Gina,Ash, Mia, Tarka and Willow xx

    ReplyDelete