Saturday 15 January 2011

Honey and Royal Jelly

Honey and royal jelly have to be two of the most magical foods...

David Wolfe - The Miraculous Healing Power of Honey!



I loved honey all my life and ate it every day until i went raw nearly ten years ago. Then almost immediately I went off the taste of honey and started to love pollen. Then suddenly about a year ago I went off pollen and started to love honey. I have no explanation for this but now use honey with 1% royal jelly - one of the best ways to preserve royal jelly is in the honey. You don't get much royal jelly but, as with any hormonally active ingredient, a little can go a long way. I and my twenty year old daughter, Jasmine, have noticed something since we began eating it - hard to define but definitely something... If you look up all the benefits of royal jelly there are far too many to read let alone remember and I am just left concluding that it's good for everything...

I make this delicious breakfast cereal with royal jelly honey - it's raw but equally liked by non raw-foodists.  It covers a lot of bases nutritionally. Lovely with raw milk or kefir and with extra honey drizzled over it.  It's worth making a double batch - as it doesn't contain a lot of moisture it freezes very well.

Honey Granola

150g almonds, soaked overnight
75g sunflower seeds, soaked
150g fresh coconut
1 tsp mesquite powder
1 tsp maca powder
1 tsp rosehip powder
½ tsp vanilla powder
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (freshly ground sticks are nicest)
3 dried figs
3 dried apricots
2 Tbsp cold pressed honey
300g strawberries, sliced
2 pears, diced

Process all the ingredients (in a 3 prong food processor), except the strawberries and pears, together until broken down and smooth. Mix in the chopped fresh fruit. Crumble the mixture over dehydrator sheets and dehydrate at 115 degrees Fahrenheit until dry and crunchy. This is likely to be several hours and can be left on overnight.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents are beekeepers so I have always loved honey. Just recently started experimenting with royal jelly.
    I will make your Honey Granola tomorrow! Thank you!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete